|How to Brush Children’s Teeth|
|1. Choose a small toothbrush with soft bristles. Nowadays there is a large variety of children’s toothbrushes, available. This is why it can be quite a confusing issue to choose which one would be the best. Anyway, the child’s toothbrush is to be small enough to fit comfortably into the little mouth and it is to have soft bristles. |
2. Use a small amount of toothpaste. There is no need to use too much toothpaste for the children’s teeth brushing. A pea size amount is just fine, as it would not produce much foam, which can interfere with brushing. In addition, some children like to eat up any “extra” toothpaste, which is not very useful.
3. Choose the comfortable brushing position. The best position for the children’s teeth brushing is considered to be behind or beside the child with the arums around the child’s neck. As for the toothbrush, it is also to be held in the position, which is the most comfortable for the “brusher”.
4. It would be useful to use a timer. Most dentists recommend brushing children’s teeth at least 3 minutes. It is possible to have a timer set or (which would be much safer to do) get some cheap sand filled one.
5. Back teeth are to be brushed first. During the first 2 minutes of teeth brushing procedure, the attention should be concentrated on the upper and lower back teeth, which are the most sensitive and in which cavities develop first. These teeth should be brushed with short and circular motions, and more time should be spent brushing the chewing teeth surfaces.
6. The mouth should be rinsed thoroughly. Every child must know that while rinsing, he or she should swish the water around in his or her teeth and only then spit it. It is extremely necessary to teach the child to rinse the mouth correctly. In case if there is too much toothpaste swallowed, this can result in a condition, known as fluoritis. And fluoritis can become the reason of the appearance of white spots on the teeth.
7. The teeth brushing procedure should be finished by brushing front teeth. The final minute of teeth brushing should be focused on the upper and lower front teeth. While brushing them, the toothbrush is to be angled as much as possible. It is necessary to remember to brush the sides of the teeth, which face the tongue as well as the sides, which face the lips.
8. Children’s teeth also need to be flossed. The child’s teeth may be flossed as soon as they touch each other. The procedure can be performed either by a piece of dental floss or by a child’s special dental flosser. While flossing, the parent can either kneel in front of or to the side of the child. All the intervals between the touching teeth are to be flossed, beginning with the back teeth and going up to the front ones. It is necessary to remember, that children’s teeth are to be flossed as gently as possible.
9. The preference should be given to special children dental flossers. The children’s flossers are of smaller size, and it is much easier to reach into the little mouth with their help. They are widely available in refillable and disposable and they are easy to be found in most stores, which carry toothbrushes and toothpaste.
10. Admire children’s teeth. All children are should be praised for doing such a great job as cleaning their tooth, and they are to be complimented on their teeth beauty and shining appearance. This will boost children’s self esteem and get them interested in their oral health maintenance.