There are many different ways for selecting a cosmetic dentist, some good, and some bad. Below are some good methods described, and some that aren’t so good.
The Best Way
1. The best way to choose your cosmetic dentist is to perform some legwork. Take enough time performing this as it is a very important decision that could last a lifetime. Try to interview at least two or three cosmetic dentists, and ask to see before and after pictures of the work they have done. Be certain that you like the results of the doctor’s work.
2. Get as much information as you can about the procedure. Ask the following questions:
- What will be done: veneers, crowns, implants, or bridges?
- What can be improved upon?
- What can the dentist not improve?
- What are the possible complications?
- What are the costs?
- Will you be able to go out right after the procedure?
If you see that the doctor is not answering your questions or comes across as if you are wasting his time, move on to the next one. It is the cosmetic dentist’s job to assure you that you are educated about the procedure and that he answers all of your questions.
3. How good is the cosmetic dentist? Ask the dentist to show you before and after photos of patients with the situation you have. With the help of this you can determine how good his work is. Be sure to ask if the photos you are seeing are patients the dentist has done himself, because some “cosmetic dentists” use stock photos of patients who are not their own. If the dentist won’t show you pictures, it is probably a good idea to go elsewhere.
4. If you like what you see, but are still a little bit hesitating, ask the dentist if you can contact some of his cosmetic patients that have had similar treatment. Most good cosmetic dentist will be happy to arrange this for you.
When you go in for a consultation you should remember the following things:
1. Try to relax. Don’t worry; you are just going for a consultation. You have no obligation to have any treatment. Explain the dentist what it is you are looking for.
2. Remember, you are hiring the dentist, not the other way around. Make sure that he answers all of your questions.
3. Bring some pictures of smile that you like to your consultation. It will give the cosmetic dentist some idea of what direction you wish to go. Be sure to let him know what it is about your smile that you dislike.